ben is a programmer, UI/UX designer and person.
- As the sole UI programmer for most of the project, I was tasked with working with artists and gameplay designers to create a large RPG menu and HUD system including: inventory management, character evolution, map, dialogue, and more.
- Implemented a "Destiny-style" free-cursor navigation system with detailed, animated tooltips.
- Worked with UMG for fast iterative design, followed by improving performance by moving intensive parts to C++.
- Created custom materials to support artists' visions.
- Worked with artists on initial concepts to ensure consistency, user-friendliness, localization of interfaces.
- Created a smart subtitles system following industry best practices.
Vampyr is available for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
In a small team, I worked alongside the lead programmer as the gameplay programmer to create a variety of systems:
- My gameplay responsibilities included implementing the player's special abilities, and most enemy behaviours, making them react to the player in challenging and interesting ways.
- I worked on the UI, creating the equipment menus and shops.
- I added Lua scripting to the existing engine to allow designers to create triggers and quests.
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom is available for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch.
Nova-111 is a sci-fi themed turn-based adventure game with a twist of real-time action! Fighting aliens in space for Science!
I was contracted by Funktronic Labs to write the overall story and dialogue for the player's witty British companion and others. I played through each level and placed dialogue triggers for lines to edify and entertain the player.
- Nova-111 was featured on Polygon, Eurogamer called it a "must-buy for any stalactite lovers out there" and Kotaku called it "terrific".
- The game was released on 25th August 2015 on Steam, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, PSVita and Xbox One.
- Reviewers praised the "Funny writing", found themselves "laughing many times per level", describing it as having "plenty of humour", and called the "humour ... one of the [game's] most endearing elements".
Nova-111 is available for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo WiiU and PC.